You can make this recipe a few different ways. You can make it without meat or you can use ground turkey, chicken, beef or bison. You can even use Morning Star Farms veggie crumbles. If you have a dairy intolerance, you can omit the dairy or you can use vegan cheese and vegan sour cream. Most of the times I use small quinoa shells so that it’s gluten free. I also think that way is quicker and easier. What ever way you make it, I know you’re going to love it.
- 1 box of pasta shells cooked and drained. (Use quinoa for gluten free)
- 1 lb ground turkey (I use Butterball 93% fat free)
- 1 jar (12oz) salsa (choose mild, medium or spicy according to your taste)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp of taco seasoning (or you can just add a packet of store bought)
- 1 can (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (4oz) chopped green chiles, drained (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Brown ground turkey, drain. Add taco seasoning and water and stir until thoroughly mixed. Add salsa, crushed tomatoes and green chiles. Let simmer. In the meantime, cook your pasta as directed. Drain pasta and if yore making the large shells, this is where you would stuff them with the turkey mixture. I usually take some of the mixture and spread it on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Then place the stuffed shells on top of that. You can top with a little more stuffing or even just crushed tomatoes. Bake it in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes. Put the cheese on top the last 5 minutes of baking. If you’ve made the small shells, just mix the turkey mixture and cheese all together with the pasta. At this point it’s ready to eat – or if you want a crunchy top, you can bake it in the oven for about 20 minutes. Top with a dollop of sour cream if desired.
- 1 tbsp Chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion powder
- 1/4 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp Dried oregano flakes
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.