Ya know, I absolutely LOVE tomatoes. I eat them like apples. Weird thing is, I’m not a fan of grilled ones. Ya know, the ones you get on a shish-ka-bob and such? After buying some delicious USDA Certified Organic, Non GMO Tomatoes from our crop share to make sauce, Spiro told me about this recipe his mom use to make when he was a kid. Breaded tomatoes. I was like huh? Yeah, she breaded them like eggplant and cooked them. I said oh, hey! That sounds great, but let me put my twist on them. So, here’s my recipe for breaded tomatoes – but they are grilled. You know me and my grill.
Ingredients for the bread crumbs:
- 1 cup bread crumbs (gluten free if you’re gluten intolerant)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast if you’re vegetarian or vegan)
Ingredients for batter:
- 2 eggs, beaten (optional eggs; either 2 tbsp. of chia seeds or flax seeds with 6 tbsp. water. Mix until gel consistency)
- 1/4 cup beer (any kind will do) (if you don’t have any, use milk or non dairy milk)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- Olive oil
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or Daiya mozzarella cheese.
Preheat the oven or grill at 400 degrees.
For the bread crumbs, mix the bread crumbs, garlic, onion and cheese together.
For the batter, mix the eggs, garlic, onion and beer together.
Core the tomatoes and slice them in 1/4 inch pieces.
Grease a 9×13 baking sheet with about 2 tbsp. olive oil.
Dip each slice of tomato in the egg mixture and then into the bread crumbs and place on the baking sheet.
Place on the grill or in the oven. Bake 5 minutes and flip.
Place a bit of cheese and basil on each slice of tomato.
Bake 5 more minutes.
Remove from the heat and they are done.